April 12, 2012

Let's Talk Color Blocking

Hello friends!

Today we're going to talk fashion. This is actually the second part of a Color Blocking post I started last week. I wrote the first "Intro to Color Blocking" for Fancy Little Things and you can find it  here.

The thing about color blocking that is possibly THE MOST IMPORTANT part, is color combination. There are some colors that should NEVER be paired together EVER. Take red and green for example. This is a color pair that is best left to ugly Christmas sweaters worn by kind teachers nation-wide (I think that teacher wear them, because the kids love them, and I think that's super sweet, so they're allowed the ugly sweater thing). Complimentary colors (with the exception of blue and yellow) such as red and green usually have too high a color contrast, and may look clash-y. Same goes for primary colors. For instance, pairing red, blue AND yellow all at once can give off the "under the big-top" effect...you know, like a clown's costume. However, if you change the hue of one or both it can sometimes work. 

In our example of red and green, you can change that to pink and mint. Or fuchsia and green and you would look spectacular:

Pinned Image

And by changing the hues from primary to something a bit more interesting, the red, yellow, blue pairing goes from clown to cool in no time:
Pinned Image

A foolproof way to color block is to stick to one side of the color wheel.


For example: pairing blues and greens, 
Pinned Image

reds and oranges, 
Pinned Image

pinks and red, 
Pinned Image

orange and yellow:
Pinned Image

In my opinion, you just need to play around with it. Find what suits you, and what compliments your skin tone and style. It may take some getting used to, but I'm sure with a little experimenting, you'll get there!

Lastly, there are a couple more color combos that I REALLY like and that I'll bet you'll like as well:

blues and greens (yes, I mentioned it above, but I really REALLY love it! same goes for pink and orange...LOOOOVE!)
Pinned Image

orange and purple:
Pinned Image

baby blue and hot pink:
Pinned Image

purple and yellow: 
Pinned Image

and blues and yellow:
Pinned Image
trendystyle


Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post. I am, by no means, the top authority on color blocking, but I love fashion and do my research, so I hope it was useful!
Another great and short little video on color blocking can be found here. It's not in depth, but it's short and sweet.
Enjoy!
xo, Dorian

5 comments:

  1. I love this post!!! I am slowly trying to do this. Q: Can you tell me a few colors not to put together? xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVE those outfits! i wish i could pull off such bold colors! perhaps after a few more sessions to get some color to my skin. i have a cool little surprise for you on my blog today! http://bit.ly/IEWLHj

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok some how I totally missed the first part! ha never mind you gave me great examples!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all those outfits, my fav combination is blue and green!

    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I read every last one of them! Thank you for taking the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...