November 2, 2011

Follow the Yellow Brick Road - a Refashion

Hi lovely ladies! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend! {yes, I know we're mid-week already!:)}
This past weekend I had the pleasure to sew a little something GIRLY
If you read my blog, you know I have two boys and am NOT going to try for the girl. And you also know how much I long to sew for girls.
My sweet SIL, approached me with an idea for her daughters Halloween costume. She wanted to be Dorothy from the Wizard of OZ...cute, no? Anyway, she asked if I could help her refashion a woman's top into a girl top and a woman's gingham skirt into a girl's Dorothy dress. I JUMPED at the chance!

It looked a lot like this one:
Vintage 50s/60s...
but with a white flower print along the bottom 6 inches. Also it was longer.

Anyway, an hour and a half later (sorry friends, no tute!) I had this:

(I am having serious issues with my camera, I think I changed a setting or something and can not, for the life of me, get a good picture! Any suggestions?)

See the flowers? That's from the bottom of the skirt. I am in love with the red buttons! What a pop of colour. Also, this was my first time sewing button holes! Pretty easy, though didn't come out perfect. At least I'm not scared of them anymore!

The lace is honestly my favourite part. My lovely MIL gave it to me and it's vintage and GORGEOUS. I want to make the EXACT same dress for me, just so I can sport that cute lace skirt. Though...I think I wouldn't look half as cute as my beautiful niece. In fact I would look really REALLY silly.

I made a bow in case she wore her hair like this:


And lastly, the back:

If you wanna see the costume in all it's glory on my gorgeous niece, you can see her over at my SIL's inspiring blog: Craftberry Bush. If you haven't stumbled onto her blog yet, you.are.missing out! Seriously, she's done an amazing job with it and she is super creative and inspiring. (You know how I don't really DO home decor? Well, she does and she VERY good at it)

Anyway. I am so happy with how it turned out. It was pretty easy (the buttons were the hardest part) and now all I wanna do is sew!
Lucky my other SIL gave me a bag full of her daughters' clothes that are a bit small and need refashions. I'll make tutorials going forward though!

Thanks again for reading and don't forget to enter the giveaway, it end tomorrow!

xoxo, Dorian

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to be Dorothy for Halloween...one of these years I am gonna do it! Judy Garland had by far one of the greatest voices of all time history. Every time I hear somewhere over the rainbow...ahhhh, I love it.

    Great job on the costume!

    On another note - we DID try for the boy, and got one, and now I am pretty sure you can check me into the looney bin! 3 kids = CRAZY! HA!

    It is fun sewing for girls, but I am enjoying sewing for my littlest man too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Found you on follower's fest and I love your blog! I'm your newest follower :)

    ~mae

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I read every last one of them! Thank you for taking the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...