July 18, 2011

Crafting with a Cause Without Knowing It.

Do you know what I love best about blogging? I'll give you a hint. It's the person seating in front of your computer, reading this. Yes, that's right it's you. And you, and of course you too...heck, it's all of you! Your comments, emails, general appreciation of my crazy little tutorials is not only flattering, but heart warming and downright amazing. And I thank you for that.
But there's another great thing about blogging. The opportunity to help someone (even if it's something small, say, like re-doing an old shirt) and to maybe one day make a change in our world.
Well, recently I got the sweetest email from one of my lovely readers asking me to help her help her daughter, make a change in our world.


 Apparently, my lil' tutorial on how to turn a spoon into a pendant has gotten around in this world wide web and this reader, Angela, who blogs here, emailed me just to ask if she could use my tutorial to make pendants to sell completely non-profit for a charity at an Indie Market in her hometown. Imagine that. First of, wow, what a compliment, secondly, what courtesy to email me!
But, get this, it's her 10 year old daughter who thought to help out this Charity. She is helping an organization called My Charity: Water, who's focus is on helping provide clean drinking water for those who don't have it as readily as we do.

As they state on their website: "90% of the 30,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are of children under five years old. Many of these diseases are preventable. The UN predicts that one tenth of the global disease burden can be prevented simply by improving water supply and sanitation."

Those could've been our children, had we not had the fortune to be born (or move) to this wonderful countries.  To read more on why water is so important go here.
Angela's daughter has joined to help provide children, much like herself, a chance at life. She has her own page here. And she will be making my Spoon Pendents to sell and donating the proceed to this charity. Her goal is simply to raise $1000 and she is at $240. My hope is that my humble lil' spoon thing can help her reach it faster. Who would've thought? What an honour to help such a kind hearted lil' girl.

Pendants made by Angela and her daughters...aren't they rockin'!? And, just look at that owl...adorable!
And what an opportunity to use this blog for change, for betterment, for good. To craft with a cause.
I'm not going to ask you to "go donate!" I just ask, that if you have minute, you check out some of these links. Read a little on what this charity is doing, and if you find it in your heart to do something, well, great! And if not, well, I still love ya ;)

Thanks for reading friends, I hope you've had a lovely weekend, I know I have.
I promise, tomorrow, we are back to our regular crafty programming :)

4 comments:

  1. Chweet!! But i can't see the owl picture !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved you spoon pendant tutorial!! <3
    Please give more tutorials !! :D :D

    RB

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK YOU!!!You are such a sweet person! My girls are so excited to be "famous". Thanks for the idea and for the time to post this. It is super appreciated!
    Angela, Amber, and Claire

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is awesome. how sweet that they asked. wow, this little girl is my hero.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I read every last one of them! Thank you for taking the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...