August 23, 2011

A Sun Shine-y Shirt - Anthro Inspired TUTORIAL

Hi ladies!
Today I have a TUTORIAL for you lovelies! Yay!
I recently saw this shirt on Anthropologie:
via
Supa-dupa cute, but price-y. What I really loved about it was the shape (forgiving!) and that it has tiny little pockets:

via
CUTE!
But I thought that it would look cute in a different fabric (and really, I'm trying to use what I have rather than spend on new stuff!!), so I cam up with this:



Want one for yourself?
Great, cuz I made a tute!!!

HERE'S WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
-about 2 yards of fabric. I'm guessing so just in case get 3 yards :)
- bias tape in coordinating colour
-sewing machine
-water soluble fabric pen

READY? HERE WE GO!


I was lucky enough to have a shirt in a similar shape: (this photo looks funny, because I had to lower the exposure so you could see the white fabric)

If you are confused about 1/4 inch or seam allowance, feel free to email me!



Set that aside.

Now for the pockets!
You should have two of each set....four pocket piece in total.

Do this for all four pieces of the pockets. Two on either side of front of shirt. Two on either side of back of shirt. Attach them making sure they will line up. Sew along the pins, right side up.
Iron seams open and flat on the wrong side.

Do NOT sew along where the arrow is!!! You'll close the pocket if you do :(



Okay, I didn't take pictures for this next step :( SORRY! 
So, here goes: sew along all the pins, creating your shirt. If you have a serger, I'm SO JEALOUS, oh and also, use it now :) Oh, and just in case...make sure you don't sew armholes shut!!!

Now to finish the edges with your bias tape:
Don't know how to attach bias tape? DANA has a great tutorial on it!

NOT PICTURED: Do this for the armholes too!



Oh and..

Wear it anyway you want!




And that's all!
A new top out of an old bed sheet...in less than an hour!
Hope you like it and if there's any questions feel free to leave them in the comments and I'll do my best to answer them. Please leave your email so I can email you back the response :)


xoxo, Dorian

LINKED TO:
THESE great parties!!

32 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE this!! Thank you! :D

    ~W

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arent you a smart cookie! I cant wait to get my sewing maching going, I have some ideas just festering!!! I'm sure you will adore them, maybe we can do a collabo?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brilliant; how are you able to make sewing a new shirt easy? I thought it was supposed to be difficult! Filing this away in my must try list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I love the use of the embroidered bed sheet, I like yours better actually! Anthro gives me such great ideas too.
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute! I'll have to try that with some pretty pillowcases I have.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this turned out great! I think I like your version better! I'd love it if you'd stop by my blog and enter the giveaway I'm having for a Dremel Trio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I love the pockets and the embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute! I have a few sheets that I have bought to make things with, here is one idea!
    We would love for you to share this at our link party, Crafty Lassie Tuesday. It ends tonight at 5pm.
    www.sewstylishboutique.blogspot.com
    We are having a giveaway! Hope to see you there :)
    Heather & Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cute! and a great flattering style. adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so good and crafty. I love the top. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely! Gotta try this tut soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous! And such a great tutorial!

    I am hosting a new linky party and this project would be perfect to link up to DIY Diva Thursdays. Id LOVE to have you :)

    Kara
    www.mineforthemaking.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are good! What a beautiful shirt:) Thank you so much for sharing your -great- tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Holy cow, this super cool!!! Can't believe it was out of a bed sheet! I also love how it can be worn so many ways. Great job :D

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! This is so great! I definitely need to do this! I make pillowcase dresses for my girls all the time but never make myself a shirt.
    www.jamesandleighann.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. O, I so love it! It looks easy (exept that with bias tape), I have to give it a try. (with out bias tape). And, I prefere yours colours, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so awesome! Now I just need a really cool old sheet and a sewing machine! :)

    I am a new follower and hope you will stop by and check out my blog. I am having my weekly link party (social saturdays) starting tomorrow!

    Jamie
    day-and-age-design.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it so awesome! Come on over and link up to Scrappy Saturdays at candacecreations.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG this is about the cutest thing I have seen all day. That is so clever to use a sheet. I really need to work on my sewing skills. You should make more and try to sell them to Anthropologie ;) Just LOVely!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Awesome..This is wonderful idea..I love love love this embroidery design with white color and pocket.Cute post..:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am in love. this is so sweet --- and that belt again! ugh! ever see another.. grab me one and i'll pay you back! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey D , I love this shirt and I think it looks good lose ,belted or layered! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am in LOVE with how sweet this shirt turned out! Ohhh you make me want to go and grab some fabric and get sewing! Your tutorial was just great and for sure helped me feel like even I could handle tackling a project like this one! Thanks!!! And thank you SO much for linking up at crafty scrappy happy-me. I am for sure a new follower :o)
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this! Thanks so much for sharing. I plan on making mine with a few oversized printed t-shirts in our closet.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is one of the best ways to make use of those unused clothes and dresses in the closet. I like the idea of making this design. It looks pretty amazing.

    wholesale clothing

    ReplyDelete
  26. Woah! That guy should have basic fashion knowledge. Fashion Police might have him in their front cover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This amazing tutorial has been featured on Mom Prepares: http://momprepares.com/2012/05/17/nine-free-and-awesome-sewing-tutorials-for-mom/3/
    Thanks for this great how-to!

    ReplyDelete
  28. gee that's good..I'm going to try it too..you make it look so easy..thankyou!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I read every last one of them! Thank you for taking the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...