October 17, 2011

A Quick and Easy Gift Idea

On Friday, I showed you guys an Easy way to paint like an artist. And today I will continue the painting theme, but move onto stencils. How much easier can it get?! :)

I went to the DS last week, and while there came across some pretty white mugs and dishes. To me they looked like a blank canvas. I have A MILLION and one ideas for these mugs. Most involve some sort of stenciling and painting. 
I had one particular thing in mind. Do you know about mug rugs?
Pinned Image
A Sewing Journal 
It's basically these long quilted coasters that you can place your mug on and maybe a couple of cookies.
I LOVE this idea, and I think I'll be making a bunch to give away for Christmas (if you live around me and are reading this: SURPRISE!) however, at the DS I saw a long, thin dish that I'm sure is meant to hold asparagus or something. But when I saw it, I saw a ceramic mug rug, that can be made without any sewing what-so-ever. Wanna see what I mean???
Lookee:

I took some of my Plaid stencils and enamel paint and just went at it. The idea is it holds your mug on one side and your yummy dessert on the other, easy to grab and take over to the living room to relax in front of the  T.V or with a good book.

On the front I stenciled a butterfly and wrote "enjoy" in little dash-y lines so it looks like the butterfly was flying in that pattern. 
On the back it's just another butterfly flying in loops.

I needed the dash-y lines to end, so I wrapped them around the handle and off the mug. I have to tell you, it may be silly, but that little detail makes me smile every time :)

This is the long, thin dish. I followed the butterfly theme, and stencil another fluttering butterfly onto the raised edge. I think this butterfly's a bit drunk, look at all those loop! HA!

I wrote "yum" (not very well) in dash-y lines to go with the "enjoy" on the mug.

Then I added a glass jar that I also got at the DS, added a simple flower and leaf (with a stencil), then stuffed it full of mini biscotti, and WA-LAA! It's done. 

It took me all of, 30 minutes (those dash-y things take most of the time) cost me $6 (with taxes) and now I've got a cute little gift that can be personalize to a persons favourite colours and taste. And if you add the person's favourite book...how cute would that be??
And really, who doesn't need an excuse to curl up with a yummy mug of coffee, some cookies and a good book?


Easy to do, and fast? Can we say "hostess gift" anyone???
Hope you "enjoyed" this post!
Thank you so much for stopping by :)

xoxo, Dorian
*NOTE*
I had someone ask about the durability of the paint and if it needs a sealer. So for anyone else who might have the same question, I thought I'd post the information here as well.
The paint I used is called FolkArt Enamel Acrylic Paint made by Plaid. It is for glass and ceramics.
It DOES NOT require a sealer. But before you begin you must clean the surface with rubbing alcohol. Then you choose to either bake it or air dry for 21 days. After either is done, it is okay to hand wash or wash on the top rack of the dishwasher. The baking instruction are on the back of the bottle.
Hope that helps, and sorry I didn't think to include that important piece of info before! Thanks for your question Amy!

Plaid's Folkart Stencil and paints sold at Michael's and AC Moore.
Feel free to visit Plaid on facebook.  Or at their blog.

Linked:
Todays Creative Blog
and at THESE great parties

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful job! I really love the paint colors you chose and the designs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you seal the paint in some way? Can you wash the mug? I am so going to look for these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great gift idea, especially for tea and coffee drinkers. I even like the glass container that holds the snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! I would like it for myself and it would make a great gift package for several girlfriends. Just curious, where did you find the dish and glass container? (What store/site?) I really like the fluted dish!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I read every last one of them! Thank you for taking the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...