April 5, 2011

Pretty in Pleats - A Tee Refashion

Want a cute new top for spring but have no room in the budget for it? Well, look no further than your hubby's cast off tees! (Make sure it's cast off, otherwise I'm gonna have a whole lot of angry husbands after me! HA!). This top is so easy to make, quick and cute...maybe hubby won't mind after all!

Usually I do a refashion based on Anthro or J Crew today we will take this Walmart clearance rack $5 tee...


and turn it into this...
a sweet little tee that started in my dreams as a dress. I call it The Pretty in Pleats tee.

YOU WILL NEED:
- a men's cotton tee
- pins
- sewing machine
- safety pins
- thread and scissors

This tutorial is a bit long, I tried really hard to keep it short but couldn't. I promise it's worth it!

HERE WE GO!








CAREFULLY take off the top and move on to the next step:



Grab that other piece of yet untouched shirt...



* KEEP THIS TWO INCH PIECE - we will making pleats with it :)





I had a hard time trying to explain this next part and I'm not sure if I explained this adequately...please feel free to ask q's in the comments! I'll do my best to answer them.






And a picture of me wearing my brand new top...
I am so awkward in front of the camera!


And as always, you can find this tutorial and many (ahem...three) more in the "Tutorials" Tab, under...


Hope you enjoyed it and didn't go blind from such a long post! 

LINKED TO:
Photobucket

23 comments:

  1. Wow, that is SO cute! I LOVE it! What a great idea . . . I might have to make one for myself :-)

    Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I have a pile of ts to get to, right now I'm working on spring sweaters. stop by sometime, domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH. this is like the best idea EVER!!!! I want to make like 12 right now. I'm a new follower. I'm TOTALLY going to try this out

    I'd love for you to link this up to my new link party, Your Whims Wednesday! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/your-whims-wednesday-1.html PLEASE PLEASE do it haha such a great tutorial you should share!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!!! I love the top and would love to make it but don't think that I am that advanced in sewing! Bookmarking it and hopefully I can do it someday!

    Visiting from Eisy Morgan's link party, from copycatcorner.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I Love this!!! I just asked my boyfriend if he has any shirts I can "borrow." Honestly, this is such a fun project, I really want to try it! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this!! I came over from my girlish whims, I am going to do this it is wonderful. I have a werger and I just got a ruffler foot OH MY I am loving it. I have been tossing around trying to redo clothes with vintage lace. I have so many pieces of vintage tablecloths and lace tablecloths and vintage fabrics, I bet you would have a ton of ideas. I am your newest follower, now I am going to go back and see what other great ideas you have.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. way too cool! I've begun a new shirt redo addiction! But this is far more advanced than anything I've tried!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant, there is nothing better than making something old in to something new! Now to find an XXL t-shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out so cute! Great job!

    http://sunnissideoflife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a t-shirt junkie and this is most def on my to do now list!! great tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love this idea! I will be going thru my t-shirt stash TODAY!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that is awesome (and sooo doable)!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ps - I'm your newest folloer :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is the most creative thing I have ever seen done with a men's t-shirt. Who would've thought? If I had a sewing machine, I would attempt this right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO nice!!! LOVE IT! :) Bookmarked to try later for sure. So creative and such a great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Simply beautiful and what a thorough tutorial! Thanks for sharing at Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I'd never have imagined that was made from a plain tee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this so much! I am doing it! I would love to feature this on my blog! I do favorite posts every now and then and this is definitely a favorite! :) I am a new follower too.

    www.mamajillblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love love love! I might give this a try when I get to know the sewing machine a bit better lol. It's at my mom's so I don't use it all the time. I need my own! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did "mine" but lucky for you I forgot my pickaxe today, so you're off the hook...for now.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is great I have a granddaughter who will love this.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I read every last one of them! Thank you for taking the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...