February 1, 2012

JOURNAL SWAP

At the beginning of the year, the very lovely Aleks from Aleks Handmade had the AWESOME idea to do a journal swap! How fun, right? Basically, we would each be paired up (at random) with another lady who signed up and then we would make/embellish/cover a journal in a way that would be all her. The idea of getting a journal customized for me was super excited. HOWEVER...The idea of customizing a journal to perfection for someone else was DAUNTING

Anyway, I signed up and got the sweet Laura from Along For The Ride. I began the serious task of blog stalking her, researching her boards on Pinterest and basically being a creeper. LOL! 
THIS is what I came up with:


It was based on this free printable I found on her boards:
Free bicycle print
found via IROCKSOWHAT

She had at least TWO variation of that saying, and her blog name is similar so I thought to myself "self, it seems like she likes that quote"...so I went with it!


I used a beautiful fabric from one of my favorite fabric "houses", Echino which is now mostly sold out, but you can see more from that collection here. And for the embroidery, I used a fabric pen to free hand the letters in and then went over them with the thread an needle. 


It ties closed, to keep everything neat and tidy:

An inside look:
I also send her a Sharpie in a coordinating color because, really, there's nothing better to journal with! The one I send her was a dual tip...extra thin to write with and the regular one for sketching or what not.

This is what it looks like off:

And in case you wanna know, I bought this generic sketch book at Wal-Mart for under $7...

I was SOOO nervous to send it to her and really hoped she'd like it. She got it yesterday and said that she LOVES it! ( I may or may not have almost made her tear a bit...YES! LOL!) I am so so so happy she liked it...a lot of love went into it and I hope and pray she fills it with wonderful memories.

***I did NOT use a tutorial. I actually TRIED using one and ended up completely messing up my first attempt at the cover. It didn't fit right, or look right :(. So I started again, from scratch, and kinna made up my own way to do it. I didn't make a tutorial along the way, but I had a request for another cover so I could make a tute, if you're interested. (and ps...the first cover I made I will be using...it's not soo bad, just not good enough to give away!)

And know for the best part...WHAT I GOT!
My partner was the beautiful Natassia from Nat's Knapsack. She claims she not an artist, but I think the journals beg to differ! So beautiful!

I got THREE lovely journals, each loving hand painted and recovered by Nat:


The back flap has a slot to store extra papers:

Let me show you them, one by one.
The first (and my fav!) is this yellow and pink one, I am in love with the dainty, artsy little flower!

She even made a bookmark to go with it!

The next one is the blue and green one...I am loving the yellow flowers on it!

And since she's so great, she made me a coordinating bookmark for this one too!
Isn't it sweet?

And last but not least, the one I call the "Love" one...

The inside is decorated as well:

And the bookmark for it:
This is one of my all time favorite verses, so it was really special that she included it.

The best part is that they're a great size!  They're about the size of a wallet, so I can carry them where ever I go without adding extra weight and bulk to my bag! With a baby, I need all the space I can get!

And lastly, the lovely Aleks (the coordinator of the whole shindig) sent us each a GORGEOUS personalized bookmark:


Isn't it so pretty?

And look at what she added just above the flower:

I just love it and will be using it with my bible! 

A huge thank you to Aleks and Nat! You girls are awesome!
I am linking up over at Aleks journal swap linky party here.

Thank you for reading this loooong loooong post! Have a super awesome day!

Linking to these parties! Come on over and join!


17 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so jealous of your fabric stash! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw this journal, I went online and pinned it to my Pinterest (http://pinterest.com/pin/51369251969509747/)
    Super cute! Thanks for sharing. =)
    Alesha <3
    tobless.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!! the journal you made is AMAZING!!! You should sell journal covers!! I would buy from you!! so lovely! you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! i am loving all of these journals!! i agree with Nat, you should sell journal covers!! i love the ones you got also! hand painted? how personal! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, the journal you made is beautiful, so neat! Loving the ones you received as well, fab!
    Alison
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cover you made is GORGEOUS! Please do make a tutorial, because now I want to make a fabric cover for my spiral-bound planner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow...so inspiring!! beautiful!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the one you made (and the others are beautiful too!)
    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool, love how you used that Echino

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh I am so so so in love with your journal cover! I love the you embroidered your wording I think that looks so nice! I am a little bit in love!!! Thank you so much for sharing!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did such an awesome job! WOW! WOW! WOW! I love the colors, fabric, and you did such a nice job on the stiched letters. GREAT JOB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stopping by from the Sew Much Ado party... LOVE the journal you made. What a special treat and a great idea to do a swap! Great job!

    I just did some embroidery as well: www.applestonedrive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my word - I absolutely adore how the bike is stitched around the outside - so cute! would love to have ya come by for a visit anytime & follow along if you'd like! xo

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  14. the book cover is gorgeous! i've also made one without tutorial or instruction before, i ended up making the fold-over where you insert the book too short. i wouldn't mind seeing a tutorial of how you made yours, i'm always open to new ideas and tips!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the journal you made w/the scooters! I wish I would have known to swap too! =)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean a lot to me, I read every last one of them! Thank you for taking the time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...